Saturday, September 6, 2008

He's At It Again

Now, our good friend at WVUE is dissing Dr. Master's for what he perceives to be a predicition that Ike will hit anywhere from Texas to the FL Panhandle. I think Dr. Master's is a little smarter than that ... in fact, I had read his blog last night and what I read was an excellent analysis of the different synoptic patterns and how the different scenarios could effect the future track of IKE. That is a helluva lot more than I have ever seen from Breck's blog. Seems to me that Bob has taken Dr. Master's analysis out of context and is smearing (probably a little harsh) his name to perpetuate his as the voice of reason.

You can also tell that some of the more knowledgeable people who read Breck's blog are getting tired of the fact that he spends more time trying to manipulate his image and not enough time on meteorological analysis. I agree that trying to predict a landfall for a storm this early in the game is not only IMPOSSIBLE, but IRRESPONSIBLE. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the potential scenarios for a tropical system and keeping people informed as long as you keep things in context. Seems to me that Mr. Breck wants people to be concerned on his timeline and I think this is a disservice to his viewers. I wonder if he ever admitted that the NHC nailed Gustav ... I know that I did.

KF

5 comments:

sciencegal said...

Right on KF - I actually posted to Bob's blog the other day and told him that it is the nature of blogging to get wide ranges of comments and that if he is serious about the reason for his blog, he needs to focus on doing just that, which is to offer factual analysis and even though early, better to be prepared and not have a storm than to be crying the sky is falling when its too late to duck for cover. :-) GG

Anonymous said...

I like Breck's TV show because he does discuss various possibilities but he spends too much time on his show, and blog, trying to keep people from going into a panic.

When people see an official track heading right toward them, all the comforting words in the world are not going to make any difference.

The people of New Orleans and Louisiana have suffered through Katrina, Rita and Gustav in the past three years and we know all too well what these storms can do.

Frankly, some level of panic/preparation seems rational at this point, knowing full well that the final landfall location is still uncertain and a curve away from the New Orleans/SE La area is possible.

Klingfree said...

Hmm, I see sciencegal has been hangin out at Bob's place today. Anyone think that caveman could be Z-man???

Sounds like there are two schools of thought on the Breck Blog now wrt Bob's "Stay calm, there is nothing to see here attitude" and the "Lay out the possibilities so I can learn and understand more". The last thread was actually pretty good.

KF

The Weathergeeks said...

KF - Felt the need to be able to post to Bob's blog and be someone that is neither I nor me. LOL So I started a new blogger account!

gg

The Weathergeeks said...

Z-Man - hmmmm I thought about that. He is certainly abrasive enough but I have asked him to tell me who he is, but he won't of course. I got the feeling however, that it is someone here, maybe at Stennis now. But good theory.

gg